Wow, I don’t know why I feel so slammed this week. It’s taken me forever to get back in the swing of things since the holidays. I have so many things on my to do list, and a million things running through my head that I want to talk about on here, but I can’t seem to get organized! Bear with me…I’ll get it together soon. Anyway, one thing I AM managing to accomplish is an occassional meal for the fam. Tonight we had a delicious combo of vegetable chowder and spinach muffins. Yes, there is sugar in the muffins, despite my no processed food challenge. I have more to say on this subject, which I will tackle tomorrow so stay tuned. For now, just ignore that little detail and enjoy these yummy recipes.
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder (originally adapted from For the Love of Cooking)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup of carrots, diced finely
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour (divided)
- 6 cups of homemade vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 heaping cups of sharp cheddar, shredded
- Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted add the onions, carrots, and celery then sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic then cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour then stir until well combined and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable or chicken broth and mix well.
- Add the potatoes then cover with a lid and simmer for 35-40 minutes; add the broccoli florets and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until all of the vegetables are softened.
- Add the last tablespoon of flour to the cheese and toss to coat evenly then add to the soup along with the milk.
- Stir frequently until the cheese has melted and is well combined. If you want an even thicker soup, mix some broth with some corn starch to make a slurry then add to the soup and stir until thickened.
The Mr.: Liked it
Me: Loved it
The Wild One: Ate about half of it, and I had to put it over bread for him to eat it.
Tornado: 50% in his mouth, 50% on the floor.
Spinach Muffins (orginally adapted from Weelicious)
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach, packed
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
- Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
- Scoop batter into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
The Mr.: He had to leave town before he could taste it! Oh well, more for me.
Me: Double yum. I had two.
The Wild One: “Mommy, these muffins are super delicious.” Also had two.
Tornado: I taught him how to say, “mmmm” and he ate a half.